Hub-and-spoke bike tours based in one appartment
Most bicycle tours are point-to-point, which means you reach a new destination – and new hotel – every night. But there’s something to be said for staying overnight in one town and doing day trips – you don’t have to pack each morning, you can settle in, and you can really get to know a location. These “home-base” (sometimes called “hub-and-spoke”) tours are a good option for couples or groups with varying cycling ability levels or interest – each of you can go on rides or other excursions based on your preferences.
Bicycle touring allows you to see a lot of the world from the best possible vantage point. But, it doesn’t have to mean you reach a new destination – and new hotel – every night. Slow travel is all the rage these days, and there is no better way to slow down than to set up shop in one location and explore all the roads, sights and charms an area has to offer. Hence the popularity of so-called “hub-and-spoke tours.”
Why it might be perfect for you:
- You prefer not to pack/unpack your suitcase every day. Since you’ll be staying in the same location each night, you won’t spend extra time every morning tracking down your toothbrush and that last pair of socks. Instead, you’ll be able to spend those vacation minutes relaxing, recovering, and exploring the local area.
- You’re concerned about covering the full route distance. Many of our clients share their hesitation about biking set distances several days in a row on the typical point-to-point tour. But tours based in one hotel give you the option of rest days so you have a dedicated day out of the saddle to stretch your legs and recover mid-tour. Some tours even offer multiple daily route options, letting you choose the route that best fits your interest and fitness level.
- You have non-riders in your group. Many of our clients ask about options for their non-cycling travel companions. A tour based out of one hotel is ideal for folks who want activities for both cyclists and non-cyclists. While the cyclist is out riding, the non-rider is able to explore the local area, take day excursions, or just relax. Meeting back up over cocktails or dinner lets you reconnect and swap stories every day!
- You’re traveling with children. We have a lot of families booking bike tours these days, and tours based out of one hotel are a great option. Many of the hotels used for these tours have a pool and other great features to help keep children entertained. And, as noted above, it’s a lot easier to take a rest day on these tours when your children are tired or need other diversions.
- You want to visit and explore a given region more in depth. The point-to-point tour is a great way to span a lot of distance, but some of our clients want to really immerse themselves in one area, wandering and getting a deeper impression of a new place and culture. Tours based out of one hotel are an ideal choice if this is a main factor in your vacation.